The origin of the Bizel-Bizzell family is placed in Savoie Province, present-day Eastern France. Family members are traced from sixteenth century Savoie to Ireland, England, America, Australia, south Africa and Canada. Family members living in these countries in 1976 contributed geneological data.


Time, like an ever rolling stream,
Bers all its sons
They fly forgotten, as a dream
Fades at the break of day.

--Isaac Watts 1674-1748



David Bizzell

David Bizzell son of Enos (8) was born ca 1762, 0.in Nansemond Co., VA. At the 1880 census, son David listed that his father was born in VA. Moved with his parents when he was very young to the Falling Creek area of Dobbs, Co. ,NC. IN Oct. 1783, a request was entered for David to receive a grant of 640 acres of land in Davidson Co., TN Territory, for Enos1 84 months of service and death in the Revolutionary War. The grant was issued 14 Mar 1786. David sold this land warrant to Simon Bizzell (18)- David married first wife ca 1784 in Wayne Co., NC. She was the mother of Serena(44) born 1784 and Asher (45) born 1785. and she apparently died before the National census in 1790. In Feb. 1797, David served Jury duty in Wayne Co., He was not listed in the 1800 census and was probably living as part of someone else's household. David second wife was Amy Everett the daughter of John Everett and Leonora Lane. Their children were: Joanne (79)-1805, Mary (Polly) (84) 1807 David Everett (88) born 1808, Jane (91)-1809, and Betsy Ann (96)1811, David died and left a will allocating his land, and it was probated Nov. 1817 in Wayne Co., The will was prepared 17 Oct. 1814, and read as follows: In the Name of God, Amen. I, David Bizzell, being in my senses and remembering the mortality of my body do make and ordain this my last will and testament in manner and form following, that is to say, I lend unto my beloved wife during her widowhood my lands and plantation, Also, in like manner, all my household of kitchen furniture. Also, my plantation tools of every work. Also, in like manner, all my livestock of every kind, Also in like manner, I lend my negro girl Selah, and now give unto my said wife, her heirs and assigns forever one negro man named Cato, also one negro woman named Fellis.- Item: I give unto my son, $25.00 and no more having heretofore given him what I thought would make him equal with my other children. Item- I give unto my daughter Seeny Bizzell Wolf, $5.00, having already given her what I allotted. Item- I give unto my son, David Everett, his heirs and assigns for ever all my lands after the expiration of the lent to his mother, but should it so happen that my said son die without a lawful issue, in that case I give the lands unto my daughters Joanna, Polly, Jane and Betsy Ann, their heirs and assigns forever. Item- 1 give unto my daughter Joanne, Polly, Jane and Betsy Ann all the remainder of my property after paying my just debts. I also give them what I lent my wife after the expiration of the lents, but in case either of my daughters should die without lawful issue, my will is that the survivors or survivor of them have the legacy of the deceased. Lastly, I do nominate, constitute and appoint my brother-in-law Joseph Everett, and Thomas Kennedy, executors to this my will and testament, in witness whereof I set my hand and affixed my seal this day and date within written, In addition, the executors of David's estate made an inventory of all personal and household property. It is listed here to illustrate a rural early 19th century household, and includes: 3 head of horses, 14 head of cattle, 16 head of sheep, 2 sows and 21 pigs, 15 fat hogs, 1 crib of corn, 4 fodder stacks, 5 plow harrows, 3 axes, 8 weeding and grubbing hoes, 2 plow frames and gear, 1 cart and 2 bodies, 1 grind stone, 1 ridding chair, and harness, 14 head of geese, 15 bushels of wheat, some flax and some tallow, 3 feather vids and steeds and furniture, 1 loom and harness, 3 wheel of woolen and linen, 3 tables, 10 chairs, 1 chest, 1 lot of crockery ware, 1 lot of pewter, 1 lot of tin ware, 1 looking glass, 1 shot gun 3 pot hooks, 1 lot of tubs and pails, some knives and forks, 2 bibles, some other books, 4 jugs, 3 negros, 1 pair of fire dogs, 1 show and side e arms, 1 frying pan and griddle, 2 saddle and bridles, 1 small trunk, 1 not of Henry Bizzell(39) principle and interest added up to this day $337.34, 2 notes of Joseph Everett-principle and interest added up to this date $489.30. 1 note on Michael McKinne- principle and interest added up to this ate $84.98,Everett Bass' receipt for $83 taken 17th Feb. 1816 doubtful, Robert McKinne's $2.30 doubtful, cash in Executor's hands $19.- At the 1820 Wayne census, widow Amy listed her son and 3 of her daughters, plus an extra w.m. 10-16 that we were unable to identify. At the 1830 Wayne census, Amy (or Ann) was head-of- house 60-70 yrs old, and David E. (88) 20-30, 2 of the daughters at 20-30 and the 3 slaves listed in David's will were still with the family. Apparently Amy died before the 1840 census-A memorial marker to the memory of David stands in Hillcrest Cemetery, Newton Grove, Sampson Co., NC.

No comments:

Post a Comment